Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sharon's Jalapeno Poppers



Simple, simple, simple. Once you've made these you'll never want to eat anything else! Well, okay, you will but these are delicious & you can choose to make them wimpy or Macho so that everyone can eat them.
Take 2 cups of bisquick & add 4 cups of grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar because that's what I had) plus 1 lb of cooked sausage.
When I buy hamburger or sausage I tend to cook some of it up so that I don't have to do so later. Unfortunately this meant that today I didn't have a sausage roll to show but that's what you use. Spicy (hot) or mild rolled sausage.
The above shows what it looks like once you stir it up. This is just the dry ingredients.I forgot to show you that you will need gloves. Always use gloves when working with chili peppers. Otherwise it can & will burn your skin not to mention anything else (like eyes) that you touch!
Look. I glow!
I asked a very nice hispanic woman (who was also buying peppers) which jalapenos were the best & she said to use this brand.
Not certain what happened to this photo because it looks fine in my photo file. But if you look closely you will see that I've added water to the white tupperware bowel & the mix looks different. You want to add enough water so that the mix forms a dough that can be easily shaped.
Take a pepper & cut the top off. Just my personal preference. I mean I want to be able to eat the whole thing not have to throw some away! So you've cut the top off. I usually cut it in half lengthwise & then I slice it in half horizontally.
Take a teaspoon of cream cheese & top the pepper.
Next take some of the dough mix & form a walnut in the shell sized ball.

Flatten the ball out.
Take your pepper with cream cheese & place on top of flattened dough. Take dough & wrap around pepper. Don't put too much as it will take longer to cook.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375F oven for 15 - 20 minutes
Voila! Yummy! This has got to be one of Hubby's favorite things that his sister has ever made. The woman is a seriously awesome cook who likes to recreate things she's had in restaurants. Me? I just like to copy her cooking! Mmmmmm


Sharon's Jalapeno Poppers

Bake in 375F oven for 15 - 20 min

2 C Bisquick
1 lb grated cheese (use any kind you like)
1 lb sausage (she uses Jimmy Dean, hot) cooked & some of the juices drained off but save some to add to dough.
Jalapeno peppers (can use fresh but canned works just as good & is much faster!)

Combine first 3 ingredients. This makes wrapping for peppers. Take peppers & pop the tails off & de-seed. If you leave seeds in this will make for a much spicier popper. ALWAYS WEAR THICK RUBBER GLOVES WHEN DOING THIS. You can also halve the peppers if you don't want them too hot or big.

Using spoon put amount desired of cream cheese in/on pepper.

Make small ball with some of the Bisquick mix & coat the peppers with it. Do not make the coating thick. Just enough to go around the pepper.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 15 - 20 min @ 375F.

If using fresh peppers, broil peppers for a few min until skins start to crinkle. Makes de-seeding a lot easier. Also try holding pepper under cold running water (fresh or canned) when de-seeding or taking the tails off.



1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm always looking for new cooking blogs so I'm glad to add you to my google reader.