Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Fav Buttercream Icing


I won't lie. It's been quite awhile but finally I have some new posts! No photos of the first recipe but a few of the others.

My Favorite Buttercream Icing

1/2 C solid white veg shortening (don't use the butter flavor, ick!)

1/2 C butter (I use salted but can use unsalted. If using unsalted add a pinch of salt to icing while mixing)

1 tsp Flavoring (I prefer butter but can use almond or vanilla. Also I like to buy them from Wilton or online)

2 T canned milk (this is regular canned milk NOT sweetened condensed milk)

4 C (1 lb) pure cane confectioners sugar

1 T Meringue powder (buy in hobby stores in the Wilton aisle - store in fridge & will last almost forever!)

Cream shortening, flavorings & milk. Add dry ingredients & mix on med speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Now mix on low speed for 10 min. This will make icing light & fluffy. Once recipe will ice a double 8" round cake.


To thin icing I add a little milk or lite corn syrup. Only add about a tablespoon @ a time until desired consistency is reached. To make it thin enough to ice a cake add about 2 tablespoons of liquid. The recipe as made is wonderful for making flowers & borders etc... on the cake.

Can make this using a hand mixer however a stand mixer works best as the icing is quite stiff.

No comments: